Take unforgettable journeys by train through the Pyrenees as you discover scenic highlights of Spain and France.
- Return flights fromHeathrow or Gatwick with British Airways
- 7 nights half board in a 3-star hotel
- 14 meals: 7 breakfasts, 7 dinners
- Local Flavours : Wine-tasting at Perelada Castle
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and local transportation
- Audio Guide
Day 1 UK – Barcelona
- Today you’ll depart on your scheduled flight to Barcelona. On arrival we’ll transfer you to the lovely resort of Roses, on the Costa Brava. The northernmost of Spain’s Costas is home to some of the country’s most charming towns, villages and beaches. Its stunning coastline stretches along the Mediterranean Sea for more than 300 kilometres and offers dramatic views of the famous Pyrenees, which tower up to 3,000 metres. Roses is renowned for its splendid wide beaches, all of which have earned Blue Flag status.So why not take a stroll on the golden sands before dinner.
Day 2 Trenet de Cadaques
- Get your holiday off to a relaxing start with a leisurely breakfast, then spend the next few hours just as you wish. You might want to tackle a few laps of the hotel’s swimming pool, hit the gym or maybe treat yourself to a spa treatment. The beach is close by, so soaking up the sun and the sea views is another tempting option before this afternoon’s excursion. The Pyrenees mountain range divides Spain and France and offers spectacular opportunities for exploration, and that’s what this holiday is all about!Today’s journey is on the Trenet de Cadaques this fun road train will take you through Roses to Cap de Creus National Park, where the mountains meet the sea.
Day 3 The Yellow Train
- You’ll head into France today, with your explorations beginning in the medieval walled city of Thuir. Located at the foothills of the Pyrenees, it is famed for its vineyards, and for the Byrrh caves, where the aperitif Byrrh is made. This unique drink is a blend of fine Roussillion wines flavoured with plant extracts and quinine, which in the latter half of the 19th century was sold as a ‘hygienic tonic wine’. Why not sample some before we continue to Villefranche de Conflent, to board the Yellow Train for a journey through the Pyrenees. This train line was originally constructed in 1903, with the yellow colours of the train chosen as they are the dominant colours of the Catalan flag. Spectacular Catalan scenery awaits as you pass through the medieval town of Villefranche de Conflent and into the Tet Valley. Here, the train track hugs the hillside and you’ll have wonderful views of forests, streams, viaducts and bridges until you reach Mont Louis. Here, we’ll disembark the train and find our coach waiting for us, ready to whisk us back to the hotel.
Day 4 Nuria Valley Rack Railway
- We’re staying in Spain today,where you’ll enjoy another fantastic trip by rail into the mountains. This time it’s an electric cog train which takes you into the Nuria Valley, in fact, the railway is the only form of transport here. As you journey into the heart of the area, you’ll get an idea of the enormity of the valley. Keep your eyes peeled for deer or marmot, and listen to your guide who will tell you more about this remote and spectacularly beautiful area. In the summer months, it is a haven for wildlife and a popular destination for walkers. In the winter months it is a ski resort.
Day 5 Besal
- Today we’ll head to the medieval town ofBesal, it’sstar attraction is without doubt the Romanesque bridge over the river Fluvi. We will take a tour on the Aerotren of Besal.
Day 6 Figueres
- You’ll make more discoveries today, but this time they’ll be on foot in the delightful town of Figueres, the birthplace of Salvador Dali. What you’ll find here is an intriguing Old Town with a laid-back atmosphere. After a stroll, we’ll head inside the Dali Theatre and Museum where you can see many famous works by the surrealist painter. Dali is also buried here, and his crypt is under the stage.
Your tour ends at Perelada Castle, where you’ll enjoy a tasting of four different types of wine , including cava, take a tour of the cellars and visit its museum.
Day 7 Roses – at Leisure
- Round off your holiday with a full day at leisure to do exactly as you please. You can make further use of your hotel’s excellent facilities, relax on the nearby golden sandy beaches.
Alternatively, head to Girona, which featured in the popular Game of Thrones series. Here you can discover the Jewish quarter and the wonderful cathedral amongst its narrow medieval streets.
Day 8 Barcelona – UK
- Today we’ll transfer you back to the airport for your return flight to the UK.