The holiday of a lifetime for nature lovers. Explore Ecuador’s cloud forest and stay on three of the Galapagos Islands.
Return flights from Heathrowwith Avianca via Bogot
11 nights in great qualityhotels plus 2 nights in flight
26meals: 11 breakfasts, 10 lunches and 5dinners and welcome dinner
Travelsphere Tour Manager andSpecialistLocal Guide
Overseas transfers, internal flights,other transportation and porterage
- Day 1 UK – Quito
- Today you’ll fly to Quito, the capital of Ecuador.
- Day 2 Quito – at Leisure
- On arrival in Quito we’ll transfer you to your hotel. Located high in the Andes, 9,000 feet above sea level, you may need a little time to acclimatise, so today you’re free to relax and explore at your leisure. You could take a stroll through the UNESCO-listed Old Town or, for a fabulous panoramic view of the city, we recommend you head to El Panecillo.
- Day 3 Otavalo
- Today we travelto the market in Otavalo, considered to be one of the biggest and best in South America. It’s a fewhours drive from Quito, so en-route we’ll stop at Mira Lago to admire stunning views of San Pablo Lake and the nearby volcanoes. Otavalo Market haslots of colourful textiles and handicrafts on offer, so you might want to have a go at bargaining for a few souvenirs. Next we’ll head to Cotacachi, a laid-back town famous for its leather. The main street is packed with shops selling jackets, shoes, wallets and more, so be warned, you might be tempted to treat yourself!
- Day 4 Quito – Mindo
- Today you’re heading to the Mindo Cloud Forest, an area of spectacular scenery and wildlife. Our first stop will be at a butterfly garden and orchid park whereyou’ll have a chance to see striking owl eye and blue morpho butterflies, and more than 200 different species of orchid. After an included lunch we’ll head to El Quetzal de Mindo where we’ll visit a working farm to learn how Ecuadorian chocolate is made and here’s the best bit – you’ll get to taste a few samples!Then it’s back on the road in search of hummingbirds. The Alambi Cloud Forest is home to a number of different species and you’ll have an opportunity to see them up close. This afternoon we will visitEl Quetzal de Mindo, whereyou’ll see cocoa trees,have a peek at a working chocolate farm and learnhow Ecuadorian chocolate is made. You’ll get to try some samples and you may want to try the locally made craft beer as well. With our afternoon chocolate fix satisfied, we’ll head back to the hotel for a local dinner.
- Day 5 Mindo – Quito
- This morning we’re going to go on a hike through the cloud forest to enjoy more of the spectacular scenery and wildlife on foot. Then we’ll travel to Mitad del Mundo, where you can pose for a photo on the Equator line! We’ll arrive back in Quito later this afternoon, and tonight we’ll get together for dinner and a briefing about tomorrow’s journey to the Galapagos Islands. You will be provided with a duffle bag for your belongings –all luggage is inspected on arrival at Galapagosand duffle bags make this process easier.
- Day 6 Quito – Santa Cruz
- Today wefly to the Galapagos Islands. A Local Guide will meet us when we arrive on Santa Cruz, and the sightseeing starts straight away. We’ll make our way to a private ranch in the Highlands, where giant tortoises are free to roam. Whilst enjoying lunch keep an eye outthe birds –many species can be spotted here, including the Galapagos mockingbird. Later we will transfer you to your hotel and there’s time to relax before dinner.
- Day 7 Santa Cruz Island – Isabela Island
After some free time this morning, we’ll transfer by boat to Isabela Island and make our way to the little town of Puerto Villamil. Once we’ve arrivedand settled inwe’ll have a practice snorkeling session to help us prepare and test our gear for the afternoon activity.
This afternoon, after lunch we’ll boardour pangafor the Tintoreras tour.This small boat tour of Isabela’s bay includes a short cruise along the coast, a snorkel and a walk on Tintoreras Islet. It’s our best chance to see the Galapagos Penguin along with pelicans, and hopefully blue-footed boobies! The snorkeling is done in a sheltered area, where you may spot colourful tropical fish, sea lions, starfish, urchins, rays, turtles and perhaps even sharks. On Tintoreras Islet, we’ll hop off for a short walk on this lava-laden land, which is home to nesting marine iguanasand scurrying lava lizards. This evening you will head to a localrestaurant for dinner where you can try thenational dishof Ecuador, typical on the coast –Encocado de pescado –fishin coconut sauce.
- Day 8 Isabela
- This morning we’ll take a short ride to a nearby wetland that is home to pink flamingosand pintall ducks, beforewalkingto the nearby Giant Tortoise Breeding Centre where we’ll see giant tortoises in all stages of development – there’s nearly 1,000 here!A level path and wetland walkway leadsback to town, where you’ll pass through mangrove areas as well as barren landscapes where the prickly pear cactus grows. Looks for birds and marine iguanas along the path, before heading to our next activity, The Wall of Tears – apoignant reminder of the penal colony which once existed on Isabela Island. In the middle of the 20th century, convicts built the 100-metre-long wall in harsh, unpleasant conditions and it stands today as a monument to their suffering.
- Day 9 Santa Cruz
- This morning you’re free to do just as you please. However, if you enjoy snorkelling our optional excursion to Los Tuneles is a must. You’ll head to one of the best snorkelling spots in the Galapagos for a chance to explore underwater lava tunnels teeming with marine life. Look out for reef sharks, sea turtles, sea horses and more. Later we’ll travel back to Santa Cruz by boat and after dinner, you might want to stroll down to the waterfront. Atnight the locals can often be found playing Ecua-volley, or Ecuadorian volleyball, which is always fun to watch.
- Day 10 San Cristbal
- Your adventure continues with a visit to the Charles Darwin Research Station, where we’ll learn more about efforts to conserve several species of the giant tortoise. Lonesome George was perhaps the most famous Galapagos tortoise. His species, the Pinta Island tortoise, became extinct when he died in 2012 and he was preserved by expert taxidermists. You’ll see him on display at the centre.
We’ll travel to another island, San Cristbal, by boat this afternoon. After checking into our hotel, we’re going to walk to the Interpretation Centre. Here you’ll learn about the history of the archipelago, Charles Darwin’s famous visit in the 19th century and today’s work to protect the amazing landscapes. Afterwards you can make your own discoveries. Hiking trails take you to Frigatebird Hill, and if you climb it you may be rewarded with close-up views of thebirds – they have a distinctive w-shaped silhouette and are able to glide for hours without flapping their wings. This evening is yours to do as you please.
- Day 11 San Cristbal
- You’re going to take a cruise along the coast and hopefully catch a glimpse of San Cristbal’s fabulous marine life today. Keep a lookout for birds including the great frigate and blue-footed booby, before the captain drops anchor for your first snorkel of the day. Take to the water and perhaps you’ll spot damselfish, pufferfish, and maybe even sea lion pups. Then it’s on to Kicker Rock, where the remains of a volcanic tuff cone rise 143 metres from the ocean. Snorkelling a channel between the rocks, you might be lucky enough to see spotted eagle rays, chocolate chip starfish, sea turtles and Galapagos sharks. After a busy morning you’ll be ready for lunch on board. Then we’re going to stop at a beautiful beach accessible only by boat a little slice of paradise and the perfect place to relax.
- Day 12 Quito
- It’s your final day in the Galapagos and you’re free to spend it at leisure.Perhaps head to the beach for one last swim, or shop for some last-minute souvenirs. Later, we’lldrive the short distance to the airport for our flight back to Quito. We’ll round off our holiday with a farewell dinner this evening.
- Day 13 Quito – UK
- Today we will transfer you to the airport ready for your flight back to the UK.
- Day 14 UK
- You will arrive in the UK today.