As you travel along America’s east coast, from Washington DC to Boston, you’ll make amazing discoveries and enjoy exciting experiences as the history of the USA is brought to life.
- Just You Tour Manager as your host & Specialist Local Guide
- Return direct flights from Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic
- A dedicated Just You representative to greet you atselectedUK airports
- Use of an airport lounge in the UK
- 10 nights in hotels of a great standard plus 1 night in flight
- 12 included meals: 10 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 1 dinnerincluding welcome& farewell drinks
- Overseas transfers, other transportation & porterage
- Day 1 UK – Washington DC
- Depart on your flight to Washington DC. On arrival we will transfer you to your hotel for a 3-night stay. This evening we will gather for a welcome drink.
- Day 2 Washington DC
- Today we’ll discover the highlights of Washington DC on a guided tour. Iconic sights lining the National Mall to the Capitol Building include the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument, and of course, we’ll make a stop at the White House. There is so much to see and do in Washington DC, so we’ve left this afternoon free for you to explore independently or in the company of your travelling companions. The Smithsonian is a collection of 19 world-class museums all are free to enter and most are located around the mall.
- Day 3 Washington DC – at Leisure
- You have a free day to explore more of DC today in the company of your fellow travellers. In addition to the free Smithsonian Institute sites, there are many other attractions including the Newseum, an interactive museum dedicated to journalism.If you’d like to discover more, anoptional excursion gives you the chance toexplore the areas around DC.Your first stop will be attheArlington National Cemetery, where you’ll seefamous grave sites including that of the Kennedys. We will then make our way to Old Town Alexandria, to see wonderfully preservedbuildings from the 18th and 19th centuries. This historic district also boasts a thriving arts scene, and if youhead to King Street you can stop for lunch in one of the restaurants if you wish. We’ll then set sail on a sightseeing cruise along the Potomac River, passing famous landmarks including the Pentagon.Your tour comes to an end in the historic neighbourhood of Georgetown, where we’ll discover beautiful tree-lined cobbled streets and some of DC’s best shops and restaurants.You can travel back to the hotel with your Tour Manager or choose to spend more time here making your own discoveries. A great place for a stroll is Waterfront Park, which stretches for miles along the banks of the river, or you could perhaps walk through the university’s leafy campus.
- Day 4 Washington DC – Philadelphia
- Our tour continues today as we head to Lancaster County. Less than three hours’ drive from the heart of American government, we’ll discover America’s oldest Amish settlement. On a tour of the Dutch Country this morning we’ll meet the people who live a centuries-old ‘Plain’ lifestyle and see how windmills are used to harness the power of nature and the horse and buggy is the primary form of transport. Perhaps take a ride in one before we head onto Philadelphia for our two-night stay. This evening you’ll see ‘Philly from the Top’ as we head to the Observation Deck of One Liberty Place, a 61-storey skyscraper. The views are fantastic and you’ll learn all about the history and the icons of this fabulous city.
- Day 5 Philadelphia
- The USA’s original capital is a liberal melting pot of people and cultures. It’s here that the Declaration of Independence was written, signed and introduced in 1776, and our tour will show you all its highlights. The ‘most historic square mile in the United States’ features the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Congress Hall and Christ Church, where George Washington and Benjamin Franklin once worshipped. Admire the city’s tallest building, the Comcast Center and stroll along Benjamin Franklin Parkway, where there are many museums including the renowned Franklin Institute, the Rodin Museum and the Philadelphia Museum of Art. During free time this afternoon, why not join our optional visit to the Eastern State Penitentiary. Once the world’s most famous prison, which held notorious criminals including Al Capone, it now serves as a fascinating museum.
- Day 6 Philadelphia – New York
- Today we head to the thrilling city of New York.
On arrival, we’ll enjoy a tour with a Local Guide who will introduce sights such as the Empire State Building, Wall Street, Broadway, the One World Trade Center, Chinatown and Times Square.
We will then join a river cruiser and see the city’s iconic skyline from the water. As we set sail, a pianist will play and lunch will be served. An interesting commentary will also be provided to ensure you don’t miss a thing. The rest of the day is free, so you can head off and explore this fabulous 24-hour city at your own pace.
- Day 7 New York – at Leisure
- With today at leisure, it’s completely up to you what you do. Your Tour Manager will be able to point you in the right direction, all you have to do is decide which attractions you want to visit. Perhaps step inside St Patrick’s Cathedral, or spend the day exploring museums including the Guggenheim, the Museum of Modern Art or the American Museum of Natural History. During an evening at leisure, why not catch a Broadway Show with your fellow travellers.
- Day 8 New York – at Leisure
- There’s even more time today to make your own discoveries in ths thrilling city.
If you’d rather join an optional excursion, your Tour Manager will take you to Midtown Manhattan, on a great morning out which starts with a stroll to the Rockerfeller Center. Here you’ll head up to the Top of the Rock Observation Deck to take in wonderful views of the city. From here you’ll see Central Park to the north, and if you look south you’ll see the Empire State building and all the way down to lower Manhattan. We’re just a few blocks away from the southern section of Central Park, and a horse-and-carriage ride, also included in this optional excursion,will give you a well-deserved rest.
Afteryou’ve bid your horse and driver farewell, why not join your Tour Manager and your travelling companions on a walk down Fifth Avenue, dipping into the famous stores lining it.
- Day 9 New York – Plymouth
- Our tour continues today as we head to Mystic in Connecticut, the most southern state of New England. Here, we include a visit to Mystic Seaport, a fascinating maritime museum which features a replica 19th century coastal village, a working shipyard and more than 500 historic vessels. We’ll then continue to Plymouth in Massachusets, where we’ll stay for two nights.
- Day 10 Plymouth
- A quintessential New England town, Plymouth is where America’s founding fathers first set foot in the New World in 1620. We’ll step back in time at Plimoth Plantation, a living museum that tells the story of these early settlers from England. During an afternoon at leisure why not join an optional whale-watching trip. Knowledgeable naturalists will guide you on a journey from Plymouth Town Wharfout to Cape Cod Bay and Stellwagen Bank, a marine sanctuary and one of the primary feeding grounds for humpback whales, finback whales, pilot whales, minke whales and the endangered right whales.
- Day 11 Plymouth – Boston
- Our final destination is Boston, one of the east coast’s finest cities. Once a hotbed of revolutionary activity, known for the Boston Tea Party a protest against tax on tea it’s now a cosmopolitan city that proudly showcases its historic past. An included tour takes you along parts of the famous Freedom Trail to the Granary Burial Ground, Beacon Hill and QuincyMarket. After free time in Boston we’ll head to the airport for our flight back to the UK.
- Days 12 & 13 UK
- You’ll arrive back in the UK today.