Follow in the footsteps of adventurers as you explore the remains of the Incas’ final stronghold in Peru’s ‘lost city’Machu Picchu, visit colonial towns and discover some of the islands of Lake Titicaca on this fascinating trip.
- Just You Tour Manager as your host & Specialist Local Guide
- Return flights from Heathrow with Avianca via Bogota
- A dedicated Just You representative to greet you at all UK airports
- Use of an airport lounge in the UK
- 7 nights in 4-star hotels, 1 nights homestay on one of Lake Titicacas islands plus 2 nights in flight
- 15 meals : 8 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners including welcome drink & dinner
- Overseas transfers, internal flights, other transportation & porterage
- Day 1 UK – Lima
- Today you’ll fly to Lima, the ‘City of Kings’.
- Day 2 Lima
- Founded in 1535 by the SpanishConquistador, Francisco Pizarro, much of Spain’s colonial influence can still be seen in Lima. Beautiful squares, fine churches and mansions have changed little since the 17th century. Must-see sights include the cathedral, the Archbishop’s Palace and the Presidential Palace, which all feature on our included tour. The pre-Inca and Inca artefacts in the city’s many museums are also fascinating and you’ll have a chance to see them too. Get to know your travelling companions over a drink this evening.
- Day 3 Cuzco – at Leisure
- It’s important to allow your body time to acclimatise to the high altitude inPeru, so we’ve left today free for you to do just that.
- Day 4 Sacred Valley
The Valley of the Incas is awash with intriguing sites and fascinating tales. The colourful Chincheros Market is full of shops selling all manner of handicraft items – it’s a lovely town with a real local feel and you may choose to spend some time here today.
The impressive Inca ruins of the Ollantaytambo fortress and temple offer an insight into the distinctive Inca building style and also deserve your attention. The site was being built at the time when the Spanish invaded, therefore much of the building was abandoned and remained unfinished.
- Day 5 Machu Picchu
- The famous ruined city of Machu Picchu was rediscovered by American explorerHiram Bingham, in 1911. Perched above a steep valley, swathed in dense jungle and often referred to as the ‘lost city’, this is a truly incredible site. We travel to Machu Picchu by narrow gauge railway and take the bus up to mist-shrouded mountain tops and the captivating ruins. A Local Guide will accompany us and be on hand to answer questions. Wandering around the site and exploring the ruins for yourself is one of the greatest ways to experience Machu Picchu.
- Day 6 Cuzco
Cuzco, the former Inca capital, features a fascinating combination of Inca and colonial architecture in its mansions, churches and cobbled streets. Discover the city and the surrounding Inca sites, including the mighty ruins of the stone Sacsayhuaman Fortress, on a tour today.
This afternoon we’re going to visita community centre inCcaccaccollo tolearnhow the Planeterra weaving co-operative has impacted the village. Very few communities benefit from tourism and this centre helps maintain a traditional way of life,helping bring back weaving traditionswhilst supporting small local communities.Today, more than 55 women are part of the association, constantly learning new methods, whilstalso maintaining traditional ones.Women involved the project report that all of their children are now able tostudy atuniversity,and they are the first generation to be completely literate in Spanish. Learnallaboutweaving and dyeing techniques used to create traditionalgarments,and afterwards havethe opportunity to purchase them.
- Day 7 Cuzco – Puno
- Today we’re going to travel to Puno on the shores of Lake Titicaca. We’ll travel through magnificent scenery and make several stops en route. First we’ll visit Andahuayluillas, where a beautiful 17th century church contains an organ decorated with angels and cherubs. Next we’ll call at the ruins of Racchi, and after an included lunch we’ll see the archaeological site of Puca-Pucara, before arriving in Puno.
- Day 8 Puno – Lake Titicaca
- We’ve an early start today, as we make our way to the Uros Islands. Floating on Lake Titicaca, they have been constructed from the totora reed that grows around the edge of the lake. They are home to descendants of the region’s native population, and we’ll spend some time learning about their day-to-day life before setting sail for Amantani Island.
This permanent island is located 4,150 metres above sea level and itshistory can be traced back to pre-Incan times. For atruly unforgettable and authentic Peruvian experience, we’re going to stay overnight in the homes of local families here. Your host family will welcome you on arrival and after showing you around their home, you’ll sit down to lunch with them.
Later, we’ll journey to one of island’s highest points, an ancient ruin known as the Pachatata ceremonial centre, where we’ll watch the sun as it sets. We’ll then head back to our hosts’ homes, where dinner will be served accompanied by traditional music.
- Day 9 Puno – Lima
- After enjoying breakfast with our host families, our explorations of Lake Titicaca’s islands continues as we set sail forTaquile Island. Home to a tight-knit community, life here hasn’t really changed for more than 1,000 years, and the Taquileos create everything they need themselves, including unique textiles and handicrafts. In fact, UNESCO has even inscribed its textile art on the Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
We’ll spend time with the locals, learning how both the men and women produce woven and knitted items. There’s alsotime to takein exceptional scenery of terraced fields tumbling down to the bright blue waters of the lake and stone paths dating from pre-Hispanic times.
Later we’ll return to Puno, where we’ll head to a restaurant for dinner. We’ll then transfer to the airport for our flight back to Lima.
- Day 10 Lima – UK
- During a free morning, why not head back into Lima to soak up more sights. Later we’ll transfer you to the airport for your overnight flight back to the UK.
- Day 11 UK
- You’ll arrive in the UK today.